Biological, Chemical and Nuclear Threats
Identifying, analyzing, and informing leaders about new and emerging threats to the public’s health and security.
Find all articles and reports in this mission area:
- Federal Funding for Health Security in FY2015. December 2014.
- Emergency Preparedness in the 10-Mile Emergency Planning Zone Surrounding Nuclear Power Plants. December 2014.
- The Existing Guidance for “Dual-Use” Research. December 2014.
- Federal Funding for Health Security in FY2015. Previous articles in this series have provided funding information for federal civilian biodefense programs and programs focused on radiological and nuclear preparedness and consequence management. This year the authors have expanded the focus of the analysis to US federal funding for health security. July 2014.
Recent Events and Multimedia
Find all multimedia in this mission area:
- The FDA's Evolving Role in MCM Development. Dr. Luciana Borio, MD, FDA Assistant Commissioner for Counterterrorism Policy and Acting Deputy Chief Scientist, describes the administration's evolving role in developing medical countermeasures, including some FDA successes and remaining challenges. February 2014.
- The Center at 15: Our History in Biosecurity, Our Future in Health Security. Tom Inglesby, Anita Cicero, Center staff, and distinguished friends highlight our leadership biosecurity and our future in health security to mark the Center’s 15-year anniversary. May 2013.
Recent Testimony or Briefings
Find all testimony and briefings in this mission area:
- Bioterrorism: Assessing the Threat. Dr. Inglesby describes the commonalities among bioterrorism and other major biological threats confronting the nation--antimicrobial resistance, new pandemics, the possibility of accidental release of an engineered contagious pathogen bioterrorism--to make the case for strengthening our ability to respond and not letting our guard down. February 2014.